Flush your coolant if you have no records of its last change. I have been told by a few mechanics that you should change your coolant every two years. These vehicles are know to overheat when under stressful driving conditions. Although it is water-cooled, the coolant has a long way to travel between the radiator and the engine. Having good, clean coolant will keep your Vanagon happy.
- Cooling system information, including coolant changing starts on page 19.1 of the Bentley.
- Diagrams will show bleeder valves or breather valves (as they are called in “86” or later).
- This is a two person job if you want to make it easy on yourself.
- Here are some good additional instructions on coolant changing.
- You should only use an amine and phosphate free coolant.